PLAZA DE ESPAÑA
Over the course of its long history, the Central square in Santa Cruz de La Palma has served a doble purpose: as a public space linked to the city´s main church, El Salvador, and as the site of the most important civic events. Known as the beginning of the 19th century as the Plaza de la Constitución, in tribute to Spain´s first Constitucion signed in Cadiz in 1812, is has also been called the plaza del Consistorio and the Plaza de la Iglesia, yet is currently known as the plaza de España.
The square, described by the cuban writer Dulce María Loynaz (1902-1997) as an irregular polyhedron with a rather hapzard layout “is adapted to the steep amphiteatre-shaped geography of the city, giving its characteristic trapezoidal design. Together with its architecture, it has been hailed as the best example of Reinaissance style on the Canary Islands. It combines the political, religious and civil powers of the city represented by the City Hall complex, the El Salvador church and the Monteverde, Lorenzo, Massieu and Pereyra houses. These buildings look down over the Monument to the Priest Manuel Díaz (1897) and the artificial lake and fountain at the centre of the square (1588).